070105.Dolmeads, North Parade Bridge and Pulteney Bridge Glowing in the Early Morning

January 5, 2007 at 1:06 PM | Posted in Architecture, Bath, Bathwick, Bridges, Chisel Marks, Light and Shadow, Pulteney Bridge, Reflection, river, River Avon, somerset, Trees | 8 Comments

061216.087.Somset.Bath
Seen from the Dolmeads section of Bath, here is the frequently posted North Parade Bridge, which extended the North Parade, the elegant and exclusive street that ran between the Lower Assembly Rooms (no longer around) in Bowling Green and architect John Wood the Elder’s exclusive North Parade Houses (originally called the Grand Parade Houses in the 1740s-50s, and according to one source: Gallaway’s Buildings).

The bridge was constructed between 1835-1836 by engineer W. Tierney Clark, and its original structure was “cast iron with ashlar piers, one enclosing a staircase to the riverside, another formerly a toll collector’s residence. F. R. Sisson, City Engineer, clad the span in ashlar in 1936-7. The bridge continues as a viaduct to the east, with two lodges, 1835-6, in Jacobean style with well-preserved strapwork.” (1)

Built to give connection between city and Widcombe, with an original halfpenny toll charge. It was also “a respectable, safe, and ornamental approach, which is at present attainable by circuitous route over the Old Bridge (at all times ineligible for female pedestrians of respectability), or by endeavoring to avoid Scylla falling on Charybdis and wading through that reproach to the neighborhood, the filthy and odious Dolmeads” (2)
Looming over the bridge is the Victorian beheameth, the Empire Hotel, and in the arch of the bridge is Robert Adam’s Pulteney Bridge.

1: Michael Forsyth, Bath (New Haven: Yale University Press, 2003), 109.
2: John Ede, Special Walks (Bath: Department of Leisure and Tourist Services, Bath City Council, 1984), 19.

Advertisements

Create a free website or blog at WordPress.com.
Entries and comments feeds.